Saturday 18 January 2014

HEROES IN A HALF-SHELL!

Given that I’ve read and drawn comics most of my life, it’s remarkable that I’ve never actually read or drawn the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The only comic story I’ve read with any of them in it was a crossover with Usagi Yojimbo. I did buy and read the wonderful parody of TMNT, Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters, and loved it, but never TMNT. Which is funny, given that Hamsters was a parody of a parody…

Sure, I’m VERY aware of the Turtles. Heck, I should think lots of people are, even those that aren’t comic fans. At one point in cultural history, the Turtles were HUGE. I quite like the latest version of them in cartoon form, and the Lego figures are cool, but draw them..?

So it was a pleasant surprise when my good buddy Dave messaged me this morning about another drawing. We started a challenge: call out characters to each other, and get the other to draw them, then share them on Instagram. I got the Turtles. I did a quick skim over the web for some colour reference (damn masks…) and weapons, a quick warm up sketch, then cracked on with full pics of them all. Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo and Donatello. I had a blast putting them together, and can’t wait for the next challenge, especially if its characters I don’t know so well… Enjoy the drawings!

PS: I gave Dave Hellboy to draw. Let’s see what he comes up with!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment